Read + Write + Report
Home | Start a blog | About Orble | FAQ | Blogs | Writers | Paid | My Orble | Login

Quirky Folk - January 2010

I Miss my Boys

January 31st 2010 21:00

It’s been at least two months since I’ve last seen Butterscotch and Gingersnap. Brett has suddenly preferred to meet in my area of town. It’s good to catch up with him close to home but that means I don’t get to see my favourite boys.

“How are they anyway?” I asked Brett last night.

“Butterscotch is a bad boy,” was his reply.

“What’s he done now?”

“He doesn’t listen. When I open the door I say stay and he just runs off. When I call him he ignores me.”

“What about Gingersnap?”

“He’s a bit dopey. He also goes outside but then comes back straight away because he doesn’t know what to do.”

I couldn’t help but laugh.

Later on, Brett made a comment about the fact I find my furniture more comfortable than his.

“Well,” I began hesitantly, “it’s the lounge.”

“And what is wrong with my lounge?” he asked, pretending to be offended.

“It’s firm. My bed, which I use as my lounge, is soft and I’m used to all the soft lumps and –“

“The barb in the middle,” Brett finished for me, referring to a section where one of the bed springs is poking out.

“Not only that, once I rest there’s no cats to bother me. Gingersnap isn’t there, stepping all over me or kneading me, which really hurts. There are no distractions.”

That said, I could gladly and temporarily sacrifice my comfort for the chance to be with my boys – when I’m not so tired that is.

Double Digits

January 28th 2010 21:00

My colleague was at it again. His goal is to view every photo on the icanhascheezburger web site. He goes from the oldest to the most recent pages, with page one being the latter. Mind you, because he only goes on it whenever our in-house software freezes or during lunch time, his progress has been slow but steady. He was actually aiming to accomplish his goal before he went on leave.

On his last day, I asked him how he was doing.

“Page ninety-nine,” he said. “Double digits.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. If Butterscotch or Gingersnap could talk I’m sure they would be proud of his interest in looking at so many pictures of their relatives.

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

Cat Tank

January 27th 2010 21:00

I got my book back! The sales assistant even called to tell me after the owner dropped it off at the shop. Talk about customer service. I can’t thank the owner and staff of store enough. It was nice to have something good happen after having a frustrating day where many things went wrong.

Which is why I couldn’t help laughing when I saw my colleague looking at this picture:

cattank
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

It reminded me of me: A typical A-type personality. Not to mention grouchy. In case you are thinking I am being self-deprecating, I was once asked to read a book about dealing with difficult people and found out that my personality fell under the Tank category. The author even mentioned that Tanks dislike incompetence so the best way to deal with them is to have all the facts set out correctly.

Then there’s Butterscotch. He’s another Tank. He’s feisty and doesn’t suffer fools gladly. One wrong move and he will bite you. Just the sort of cat I would want my husband to be.

In Sickness and in Health

January 26th 2010 21:00

Catching up with Fred last weekend, I found out that one of my ex-neighbour’s cats is sick. Fred says the cat has been suffering from diarrhoea for several days. The vet was called and my neighbour is worried that he might need to be put to sleep.

Lost: one Kitty Book

January 24th 2010 21:00

I am so annoyed. I was out shopping with my sister over the weekend for a particular dress that was on sale. We went to the store (which was located about twenty minutes walk from the CBD) and was told they were having a one-off sample sale a few blocks away so we could get our dream dress even cheaper!

Kitteh Vs Fan

January 21st 2010 21:00

What is wrong with this kitten? Is it fighting with itself or the air? A ghost perhaps?

The Amazing Nora

January 20th 2010 21:04

Now who says cats are dumb? These videos are proof that they are more than capable of picking up new skills. Maybe I could try and get Butterscotch and Gingersnap to learn the piano. Nora, you can play for me any time, sweetheart…

Ew! (Part 2)

January 20th 2010 21:00

A Novel Find

January 19th 2010 21:00

Don’t you love chuck outs? Not only do you unclutter your life, it’s also amazing what can turn up.

Grunting all the way

January 18th 2010 21:00

Photo by Ltshears. Used in accordance with the terms of Wikimedia Commons’ GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.

Jetoy? Oh, What joy!

January 17th 2010 21:02

My sister and I have this thing going: she drags me to Chinatown and I am supposed to amuse myself while she goes shopping. It goes without saying that I am an unenthusiastic participant, although I do enjoy walking there and my sister’s company. The problem is that I have little interest in Chinese DVDs, Hello Kitty or in Yum Cha. Neither am I keen on the factory outlets nearby, the designer snob I am.

[ Click here to read more ]

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Acting out Commercials

January 13th 2010 21:00

Photo by FiveRings. Used in accordance with the terms of Wikimedia Commons’ Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

Rivalry

January 12th 2010 21:01

Photo by Maren Winter. Used in accordance with the terms of Wikimedia Commons’ GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.

[ Click here to read more ]

Since my colleague and I tend to watch the same TV shows, it goes without saying we spend most mornings discussing what was on TV the previous night.

Vacuum Cleaner Cat

January 10th 2010 21:00

This is proof that cats are not dumb. The start of this video reminds me of the time Brett told me Butterscotch had figured out pressing one of the buttons on his vacuum cleaner makes the cord wind back into the machine.

The Clever Cat

January 7th 2010 21:00

Photo by Wadems. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Art Gallery Dog

January 6th 2010 21:00

My Babies’ Vet has Moved

January 5th 2010 21:05

Walking around Sydney’s Paddington area one day, I came across the following sign towards the top of a hill:

The Kind of Postcard I Like

January 4th 2010 21:00
Several months after my birthday, a friend from Japan decided to send me a belated birthday postcard. It was the sort of card that brightened up my day; the postcard had a photo of Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama (the one my ex-Japanese resident colleague calls the polka dot lady) in a polka dot costume similar to the one HERE. Standing beside her was a brown horse that was covered in white polka dots. The best part was the other side of the postcard: There was a Hello Kitty stamp. I wondered if it was coincidental or whether she deliberately chose that stamp because she knows I like cats. I like to think it was the latter.

Underneath the stamp was my friend’s birthday scrawl and drawings of love hearts. She also glued some stars near her message. Very girly and very her. She is the only person I know who is over thirty who indulges in this child like past time.

One Off-Putting Commercial

January 3rd 2010 21:00

Photo by Josephmoreno. Used in accordance with the terms of Wikimedia Commons’ GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.