Read + Write + Report
Home | Start a blog | About Orble | FAQ | Blogs | Writers | Paid | My Orble | Login

Quirky Folk - March 2010

BBQ cat

March 31st 2010 21:00

Taking a five minute break from work, two colleagues and I started discussing food. One of them told me he could not bring himself to eat raw horse meat, which is a delicacy in Japan. My stomach turned and I pulled a face. The other colleague laughed and said, “Yeah, it’s hard to eat an animal that looks like your face.”

I showed them a photo of Butterscotch, before saying, “My [Chinese] parents say Butterscotch tastes like chicken.”

The second colleague laughed again. “Hey, we can barbeque Butterscotch. I bring the barbeque, you bring the sauce and she can bring the cat.”
“And we can barbeque the cat. But only if it’s a young cat. Not an old cat,” said the first colleague.

God, I thought. He sounds like my old man talking about old duck. My typically Chinese father loves Peking Duck – but only when it is young and tender. If it is not, he will grumble, “Old duck” in disgust.

“How old is Butterscotch?” asked the second colleague.

“Three,” I said.

Although three is still relatively young in cat and human years, my colleagues thought that qualified as old cat and abandoned their idea.

Muzzling and Nuzzling

March 30th 2010 21:00

Like many people blessed with a companion animal, I have discovered the joy of finding my furry friends’ favourite place to rub: underneath their muzzles (or chins, as my sister would say).

Playing around with Butterscotch and Gingersnap a few nights ago, I rubbed the underside of their muzzles. Each time, the cat would lift its head up, giving me better access to this secret spot. It was charming to watch. I was enchanted by the beauty of looking at their neck.

It reminds me of a video I once shot of them. There they were, lying on Brett’s bed. Both stare into the camera. After a while, Butterscotch lifts his face up and looks upward for a few seconds before looking at the camera again. Gingersnap turns away to lick his paw. End of movie.

I can has Cheezburger? Mark 2

March 29th 2010 21:00

My colleague is back on his I can has Cheezburger? routine. You guessed it, he is going to plough through all 600 or so pages again in his lunch break. Good luck to him.

“There’s a dog version of Cheezburger,” I suggested.

“I know but it’s not as good as the cat one. The thing with cats is that you can tell when they’re p**ed off,” he said, chuckling.

Too true. It’s all in their cat eyes. Just look at the examples below:

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

lolcat - nice bwinker jurkface
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

Coming to a Flat Near you…

March 28th 2010 21:00

Readers of the Sunday Telegraph’s Sunday magazine would no doubt have seen the write-up about Flat Pets in yesterday’s issue. Flat Pets are cardboard replicas of your favourite pets: the kitten, the bunny rabbit and, of course, the puppy. Perfect for non-pet friendly (or should that be pet-unfriendly?) buildings like the one I live in. You can just prop it against the wall and look at it when you come home at night. Give it a name. Stroke it. Pretend it’s real. No mess, no fuss, no need to feed it or to take it to the vet. And, best of all, it won't upset your landlord/lady. Where can I get one? Actually, HERE.

Housing Stupidity

March 25th 2010 21:00

One afternoon, just as I was getting ready to go home, my colleague was telling me about a person who paid $58 million for a house in Perth HERE .

[ Click here to read more ]

Is my Marriage on the Rocks?

March 24th 2010 21:03

Terminology

March 23rd 2010 21:00

Photo by Magnus Manske. Used in accordance with the terms of Wikimedia Commons’ GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.

The Catgut Evening bag

March 22nd 2010 21:00

Photo by Dogmonster. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Dog poo Stories and Games

March 21st 2010 21:02
Years ago, long before the Coogee Bay Hotel scandal, my sister, best friend Andrea and I used to play dog poo games. Our favourite was finding a turd that had turned greyish-white with age. Just why does this happen, I used to wonder. We would stomp on them and watch them disintegrate immediately. The other thing we noticed was how they didn’t smell as bad as a fresh turd. Another thing we did was invent stories about a little girl who would pick up dog poo and squash them into oblong shapes before wrapping them up in foil and presenting them to someone as chocolate.

As for fresh turds, we kept well away from them, knowing from personal experience how smelly they were. I remember my sister squealing after she accidentally stepped on dog poo. She screamed and screamed until I cleaned the dog poo off her shoes.

Is it Puss or is it Pus?

March 18th 2010 21:00

Photo of urine pus cells by Microrao. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Kitty Wigs Book

March 17th 2010 21:00

Like many shoppers, I find it hard to resist a sale. So when one of my favourite book shops had a 20 per cent off everything sale, I decided it was time to get some more cat books.

Flea Bags

March 16th 2010 21:03

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

The Secret’s out

March 15th 2010 21:00

Jetoy Products

March 14th 2010 21:00

Ahhh. Found: two videos showing the beauty of Jetoy’s Choo Choo diaries. I have both, courtesy of Zakka House, my local Jetoy retailer. This habit is truly dead money: I buy the diaries but because I love the artwork so much, I refuse to use them. Instead, I think of them as coffee table books, books to flick through when I want to see splendid artwork. My sister would yell at me if she could. That said, she prefers my current Jetoy obsession to my previous Prada obsession. At least my wallet has a chance to recover. Looking at the diaries’ artwork also helps me fall asleep.

The Perfect Name for a cat vet

March 11th 2010 21:00

Spotted in Paddington: a gold plaque with the name of a veterinarian at Paddington Cat Hospital: Melissa Catt. Purr-fect! Coincidentally, this is where HEREButterscotch and Gingersnap get treated. Go, Melissa.

[ Click here to read more ]

Would you Shave Your cat?

March 10th 2010 21:00

During summer, a colleague was telling me how she shaved her cat. I asked her why and she said it was because her cat became really hot from the heat and she was trying to put an end to its misery. That reminded me of the time Brett told me about Butterscotch and Gingersnap spending all day lying on the floor during a stinking hot day. It was their way of staying cool. That said, Brett did not shave his cats.

The Skateboarding dog

March 9th 2010 21:00

I was telling my cat loving school friend about the clip I saw of Butterscotch being forced to play air drums when he emailed me the below video.

My Cat is a Christian

March 8th 2010 21:02

Blogging is getting easier now I have a cat crazy friend who keeps emailing me funny feline clips. No, this is not my cat loving colleague but an old school friend who lives in Utah. He has many Mormon neighbours but he is not part of the sect. He also has his own cat which he had when he lived in Australia. Like any responsible companion animal owner, when he had to move to the U.S., he asked his neighbours if they would mind cat sitting for a year. They said yes but this has now stretched to two years. Oops. I wonder who is paying for all the cat food.

[ Click here to read more ]

Funny cats can haz cheezburger?

March 7th 2010 21:00

Man, it’s good to sit next to a cat lover for a change. Most of my previous colleagues were cat haters. My cat loving colleague shows me any interesting things he comes across that are cat related. I do the same. This is his latest contribution:

Anti-Social Behaviour

March 4th 2010 21:00

Photos by Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez. Used in accordance with the terms of Wikimedia Commons’ GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.

The Queenie

March 3rd 2010 21:00

Photo by Jean-Luc 2005. Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Kittehs Vs. Cameras

March 2nd 2010 21:00

My colleague recommended this video to me after I came back from lunch in a foul mood and wearing a black face. It cheered me up – a little, anyway. It might cheer you up, too. I’m now going to go out and kick something to vent my frustration.

The Dead cat at Lavender Bay

March 1st 2010 21:00

Photo by used in accordance with the terms of Wikimedia Commons’ GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.