December 12th 2013 21:04
Unlike my sister, I’m not normally a germ conscious person. Until today that is.
On the way to work I found a wet paper bag containing a Whopper meal. The burger was huge. Great, I thought, thinking I could have it for dinner and it was almost the same as finding money as there would be one meal less to buy.
But when I got to work I noticed there were two small slugs on the bag. I discreetly disposed of the bag before putting the burger and fries in the fridge. I then happened to mention to my sister in an email about what happened.
Yes, I was expecting the usual “ERRR! That's disgusting!!!” response but instead what I got was a concerned email about the possibility of dying from rat lungworm which can be contracted from eating slug slime. She also sent me this link HERE.
“It’s one thing to take discarded food from a food court but it’s another to take food from the ground when you don’t know where it’s been,” she wrote. “I don’t want you to die just from eating dropped contaminated food.”
In this case it was even worse as I knew there were slugs on the burger bag so who’s to say they couldn’t have come into contact with the burger itself? And it’s not as if you could wash a burger before consuming it the way you can with fruit and vegetables.
Feeling guilty that I was adding to landfill, I reluctantly threw the burger and fries out, explaining to a curious colleague that the food had gone “off”. I also had an OCD attack. I still shudder when I think about how close I was to being contaminated. I was surprised that my doctor hadn’t mentioned it.
“He’s an idiot,” said my sister.